About the Association of Fundraising Professionals
In order to promote stewardship and donor trust, AFP:
- Promotes consistent and high standards of professional practice to ensure donor trust and guard against abuses that can occur in the fundraising process.
- Requires members to comply with a Code of Ethical Principles and Standards of Professional Practice (Code) that is designed to provide concrete guidelines for fund-raising professionals in philanthropic organizations. The Code is underscored with an enforcement policy, which is governed by the AFP Ethics Committee.
- Was instrumental in creating the Donor Bill of Rights , a document outlining what donors have the right to expect from the charitable organizations to which they contribute.
- Certifies fundraising executives through the Certified Fund Raising Executive (CFRE) program and the Advanced Certified Fund Raising Executive (ACFRE) program. These credentials, held by more than 3,500 fundraising professionals, verify experience and knowledge of fundraising.
- Provides educational programs about fundraising. Programs include the annual International Conference on Fund Raising, the Executive Leadership Institute, the Survey Course on Fund Raising, and the First Course in Fund Raising.
- Provides information about philanthropy through its Fund-Raising Resource Center, which houses a comprehensive collection of books, periodicals, speeches, and audio/visual materials on fund raising and the not-for-profit sector.
- Encourages research on fundraising and philanthropy.
- Supports legislation and regulations to encourage philanthropic giving and ethical fundraising.
- Publishes a quarterly journal, Advancing Philanthropy, which features current issues in philanthropy.
For more information about the Association of Fundraising Professionals, please contact the AFP Service Office, located in Alexandria, VA:
AFP is a 501(c)(6) organization. Its fundraising arm, the AFP Foundation, is a 501(c)(3) organization.
AFP Description and Purpose
The Association of Fundraising Professionals (AFP) is the professional association of individuals and organizations that generate philanthropic support for a wide variety of charitable institutions. Founded in 1960, AFP advances philanthropy through its 33,000 members in more than 241 chapters throughout the world. AFP has inspired global change and supported efforts that have generated over $1 trillion. AFP’s individual and organizational members raise over $115 billion annually, equivalent to one-third of all charitable giving in North America, and millions more around the world.
AFP believes that to guarantee human freedom and social creativity, people must have the right to freely and voluntarily form organizations to meet perceived needs, advocate causes, and seek funds to support these activities. To guarantee these rights, AFP’s purposes are to:
- Foster development and growth of fundraising professionals committed to the preserving and enhancing philanthropy.
- Establish a code of ethics and professional practices.
- Require member adherence to a professional code of ethical standards and practices.
- Provide training opportunities for fundraising professionals.
- Implement programs that ensure cultural and social diversity in our membership and leadership.
- Collect, research, publish, and disseminate historical, managerial, and technical information on philanthropy and philanthropic fundraising.
- Promote public understanding of philanthropy and philanthropic fundraising.
- Conduct activities that maintain and develop legislation favorable to philanthropy.
- Enlist, organize, and support members to achieve our purposes.
- Foster international cooperation, knowledge exchange, and education among fundraising professionals worldwide.
- Use all necessary and proper means to accomplish our purposes.
- Provide a valid and reliable certification program for fundraising professionals.